Monday, February 11, 2013

Tutorial: Love Blocks


Another one of my favorite Valentine's Day projects from last year are these fun "love" blocks. They were so easy to make, I ended up doing some for almost every holiday. 

what you will need:
a 2x4 piece of wood, spray paint, scrapbook paper and cardstock, ribbon, modpodge, glue gun

I let Adam have a little fun with this one and cut the 2x4 into four pieces: one 6in block, two 7in blocks, and one 8in block. I gave each piece of wood a few coats of black spray paint and sanded the sides.

To make the letters, I picked a font, printed it out, and traced each letter onto cardstock. Since I didn't have a fancy machine for cutting, this is what I resorts to. I cut the letters from the cardstock and they were ready to go.

Next, I traced each piece of wood onto scrapbook paper and cut them out. Using mod podge, I put the different patterned paper onto each block of wood. Another coat was used to adhere the letters, and a final coat went on top.

When that was completely dry, I added the ribbon using a glue gun. To make sure the wood blocks could easily stand, I only put ribbon along the two sides and tied them together at the top. Simple as that!



I love this project, because as I said before, you can do it for any holiday you want, or do one for your everyday decor.

Exciting news: Melanie Gets Married reached 3,000 views today!! Thanks to everyone who reads this!