Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Anniversary Series: The Proposal




Adam popped the question on March 5th, 2011. While I would like to say it was completely unexpected and a huge surprise, I would be lying. The days leading up to the proposal, I had a feeling it was going to happen. Adam had taken a few trips to see his parents without inviting me (which never happens) and had been acting very weird about our plans for that night. Here's how it all went down:

Adam had me convinced that we were attending a work party at a fancy restaurant, and had suggested I go to the spa beforehand. H had bought me a spa gift certificate for Christmas that I had yet to use, so he made me an appointment to have a day of pampering and he shipped me off. 

As soon as I came home, I could tell he was extremely nervous, but tried not to get myself too excited. When it came time for the "Work Party," we ended up in the fanciest restaurant I have ever been in. We spent dinner joking around about how perfect everything at the restaurant was. When Adam got up to go to the bathroom, a server came over to our table, took his dirty napkin and replaced it with a clean one. I got a kick out of this, and told him about it when he returned. I then told him he had to see for himself, and I left the table. Our food was delicious, and while I thought we were about ready to leave, a mysterious dessert plate with a cover appears on our table.

You've all seen it in the movies I'm sure, and I instantly knew what was happening. Adam told me to dig in, and I was in instant shock. Although I had a feeling he was going to propose, I didn't think it was going to happen during dinner, and I had a sudden moment of shock because I couldn't believe it was actually happening. I looked at Adam and kept saying "Oh my god!" "Is this seriously happening right now?" "I can't believe this is actually happening" I finally regained my composure as he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. He was shaking, his words were shaky, and I thought it was adorable. I finally managed to say "YES!" and got my first good look at the beautiful ring. 

Our actual dessert arrived immediately after, as well as complimentary champagne. Our server came over to congratulate us, and even noticed my manicured nails. 


Little did I know, the night was far from over. Adam had booked us a hotel for the night and when we walked in, it was covered in candles and rose petals. We decided to wait until the morning to tell our families. We wanted the night to be just about the two of us and our future together. We spent hours discussing wedding plans, everything from the date to the colors of dresses and what song we would dance to. We talked about the events of that day, how nervous Adam was, and how I was completely expecting it, but in shock all at the same time.


The next morning, Adam and I traveled to my parents house to deliver the news. As I ran down to the basement to show my mother my ring, I could tell she already knew (apparently my dad is bad at keeping secrets). Adam had given my dad all the details and had arranged for my family and his family to meet in Frankenmuth for a celebratory dinner that night. During dinner, everyone admitted that they were very worried the proposal didn't go well. They were all expecting phone calls as soon as it happened. So I guess we did manage to surprise them a little bit. The rest of the day was filled with calling grandparents, family and friends to share the wonderful news.

It was a beautiful weekend full of love and I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

I would love to hear your engagement story if you would like to share it!






Also, I am linking up with Sydney at Bumps Along The Way for the first ever Something Borrowed Link-Up Party

1 comment:

  1. I love that not only was the proposal a surprise, but the two of you spent the night just talking about your future together - so sweet and awesome.

    Thanks for joining our link-up!

    ReplyDelete